tracker in gutsy [was: Re: Ubuntu Technical Board meeting, 2007-09-25]

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 26 06:56:47 BST 2007

Hi,

Matt Zimmerman [2007-09-25 13:10 -0700]:
> After a wandering discussion about the challenges facing Ubuntu Server,
> community and Canonical developers and the project in general, Soren's
> application was approved.  Please welcome him as our newest core developer!

Congratulations, Soren! Well-earned!

> Mark Shuttleworth raised Tracker for discussion, which is the subject of an
> ongoing email exchange between the Board, upstream developers and Ubuntu
> developers.  There remain some bugs affecting Tracker which make it
> unsuitable for release with Ubuntu 7.10, but the developers involve hope to
> have them resolved in time to keep it in the release.  As a contingency
> plan, Tracker can be easily disabled by default via gconf if the problems
> are not corrected in time.

That was my plan, too. Upstream is very cooperative and has worked
with us closely to have something good for release. He will release
0.6.3 very soon now which addresses some of the worst problems like
stopping indexing when switching to battery, and much better I/O
behaviour. In particular, he fixed all the 'fix committed' bugs on
[1], which includes all the critical/high bugs. Very impressive,
thanks Jamie!

It's not the type of update we would commonly do after beta, but I
think it is worth giving a try. Emergency fallback would be to disable
it by default if the new indexing format gives troubles.

Thanks,

Martin

[1] https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tracker/

--