3 or 4 options for Desktop-Effects capplet?

Evandro Fernandes Giovanini efgiovanini at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 04:42:43 BST 2007

Em Sex, 2007-09-21 às 22:02 +0200, Mirco Müller escreveu:
> Greetings everybody!
>
> 	Currently I'm working on a better UI for the Desktop-Effects capplet
> for gnome-control-center. I started to work on it during the
> compiz-sprint this week in London.
>
> 	Kenneth "kwwii" Wimer will provide proper Tango-icons for the options.
> The current question is to offer a fourth option "Custom Effects" or
> not. It is meant to start ccsm. The whole idea is to allow people to
> easily switch between the presets (no, normal, extra, custom). The
> "Custom Effects" will initially take whatever is current (either
> starting form the profile "Normal Effects" or "Extra Effects") and save
> a custom profile selectable via the "Custom Effects" option.
>
> Have a look at the progress sofar...
>
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~mmueller/new-desktop-effects-capplet-1.png
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~mmueller/new-desktop-effects-capplet-2.png
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~mmueller/new-desktop-effects-capplet-3.png
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~mmueller/new-desktop-effects-capplet-3.1.png
>
> 	I'd also like to hear your suggestions and opinions on the wording and
> layout.

Hi there Mirco,

The biggest issue I see with the current dialog is that the user has no
idea what to expect when choosing "Normal" or "Extra" effects.

Your proposal to add a text description helps that issue somewhat, but I
still think the dialog could be more clear on what each option does, and
without the added verbose.

I like the original "desktop-effects" capplet design (the one made by
Red Hat guys which is found in Fedora)[1]. A button to enable/disable
the effects, and a few check boxes where people can enable some of the
most popular extra effects. This way people don't wonder if the extra
effects are "too much", and they don't come in an all or nothing
package.

About adding a link to ccsm, I assume that would remove the menu entry
in System->Preferences as well?

Anyway, thanks for working on this!

Cheers,
Evandro