Contrast etc.

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sat Sep 22 02:59:30 BST 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 02:01:04PM -0400, Eben Sorkin wrote:

> I suggest that you *may* ( not should ) want to accept a specific
> rendering scheme and instead of working to make existing fonts look
> less bad - focus on developing fonts that take advantage of and are
> designed for that specific rendering scheme.

I agree. The fonts we use by default look best when fully hinted,
something that is not true of many new fonts. The ideal solution would
be to replace them with fonts of similar metrics and style but better
suited to the autohinting world that seems to lie in our future. That's
something that we should spend some time looking into, and I suspect
that the development summit in November is probably the best time to
work that out sensibly.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org