libpam-ldap and libnss-ldap in main.

Rick Clark rick.clark at canonical.com
Wed Sep 19 22:52:29 BST 2007

Hello,

I would like to request that libpam-ldap and libnss-ldap be included in main.
I'm sorry this is coming at this late date, but after these packages received
a thorough walloping by Ian[1][2], I requested a review from Kees. He only
finished that review last week, when I was at vmworld.  My arguments for
inclusion are as follows:

1 These packages are ubiquitous.  They are shipped with every major
distribution and some commercial UNIX products.  In fact, Redhat has included
this package for at least eight years.

2 These packages are required LDAP authentication.  LDAP authentication is
used in almost all large commercial environments and is extremely popular
smaller ones as well.

3 This is being used by our users anyway, including many who pay for support
contracts.  Any bug in these packages will affect us and will be seen as an
Ubuntu issue whether we official support them or not.

4 The Support Team has requested that we officially support these packages.
Customers are demanding it and are running it anyway.

5 Upstream is responsive.  I have discussed this issue with the upstream
author, who admits that rewrite might be necessary.  He is more that willing
to accept patches and already does so from Redhat and Novell.

6 Kees has taken a look at the code, and although he shares Ian's concerns,
specifically concerning libpam-ldap, he considers the risk low and is fine
with inclusion. (emails attached)

7 These packages are extremely well tested and have been used for nearly a
decade.

While none of these arguments might be enough on their own, I believe combined
they make a strong case that it is a low risk to support these packages, that
not doing so is a disservice to a substantial number of our users, and
hinders the adoption of Ubuntu in many environments.

Thanks,

Rick
Ubuntu Server Team

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionReportLibPamLdap