Consolidating the various freezes

Vincent Untz vuntz at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 16 11:09:01 BST 2007

Le samedi 15 septembre 2007, à 13:59 +0100, Matthew East a écrit :
> I'd quite like to develop the idea that we could have a notification
> period which begins before the UI freeze, in which significant changes
> which might affect documentation are reported to the docteam. It
> strikes me that translators could do with such notification too
> (currently a lot of the translation work is forced into the short
> period after string freeze, but that's not efficient, and it would be
> helpful to have more translation work going on earlier).

Note that we've had such announcement periods in GNOME for a while, and
I think it's been quite useful. GNOME translators and documentation
people would probably be able to comment more on this, but from a
developer point of view, it makes you think twice before changing
something.

Also, it's a bit off-topic here, but from my upstream position, it
strikes me that before string freeze in Ubuntu, translators should be
clearly encouraged to work on upstream translations. Some teams are
doing this, but I doubt this is the case for all teams. (This is also
true for documentation, I guess)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.