initramfs/udev/mdadm/lvm2 integration

Ante Karamatic' ivoks at grad.hr
Fri Sep 14 22:54:22 BST 2007

Phillip Susi wrote:

> I find A to be a lot more surprising.  The whole purpose of having a
> raid 5 setup is so the system will continue to operate just fine in the
> event of a drive failure.  This includes booting up, which is often when
> failures occur.  Sure, needlessly degrading the set isn't good, but the
> system does what it was designed to: keep running.

I agree. As Philip said, whole point of raid is fail over. If raid is
degraded, I expect it too boot and alert me about problems, if possible
order a new disk automatically and schedule a meeting for the repair.

'Don't boot if degraded' isn't default RAID behavior. So, if there
should be anything for kernel command line, it should be
'dont-boot-degraded'.

I also agree with Jerome about debconf question - or, at least, let
'boot degraded' be silent default, while reconfiguring package would ask
a question about preferences.

No one wants to get stuck with unbooted server, 3000-4000 kilometers
away, cause one disk failed in RAID - at least bring up networking and
ssh, so that admin can find out what's going on.