Consolidating the various freezes

Michael Bienia michael at vorlon.ping.de
Fri Sep 14 19:35:11 BST 2007

On 2007-09-14 14:26:02 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
>  * UpstreamVersionFreeze should be dropped completely. The main things
>    we care about with new upstream versions are:
>
>    - introducing new features, which is covered by FeatureFreeze, and
>
>    - changing ABI/API, so that we need to do transitions.
>
>   That way, we do not need to make a big fuss about upstream microreleases which only fix
>   bugs and treat upstream bugfix-only microreleases the same way as we
>   treat new syncs/merges from Debian. We already do that in practice
>   for e. g. system-config-printer, where we have brilliant upstream
>   connections, and fixes immediately go upstream.
>
>   The ABI/API break would then be mentioned in the description of
>   FeatureFreeze.

Will there be some guidelines when a FF exception will be needed for a
new upstream version as not all upstream projects have microrelease with
bug-fixes only? And what counts as a new feature needing an exception
(after FF freeze)?
This guidelines will hopefully help MOTUs (as universe seems to be also
affected by this change) (and core-devs) to decided if some random new
upstream version will need an exception or not.
The concept of UVF is quite easy to understand and I don't know if FF
will be similar easy to understand for everyone. Right now I'm not sure
if could off-hand decide if a new upstream version (one not doing
microrelease) needs a FF exception or not.

Regards,
Michael