CD boot installer for Windows contribution

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Mon Sep 10 22:10:06 BST 2007

Matt Zimmerman napisał(a):
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 01:25:53PM +0200, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
>> It is Windows installer based on Instlux which allows booting system
>> from CD without modifying BIOS, by modifying Windows boot loader sequence.
>>
>> It is different from Instlux because it does not require kernel nor
>> initrd image and it is thus tiny (about 200 KB).
>
> Is this substantially different from
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/installer-for-windows which is
> currently in progress?

It is much simpler, it does only one thing - boots system from CD.

I have been told that Wubi already contains such option and that it is
mature enough that it will be integrated into Gutsy. So I guess this
makes it obsolete.

It can of course be used in other use cases, installer doesn't care what
it boots from CD. And it is small enough to fit anywhere, if such
heavyweight solution as Wubi is not needed :)

	Krzysztof Lichota