GPLv3 x lintian

Luis Furquim luisfurquim at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:35:31 BST 2007

Hi

Ok. When I upgrade to Gutsy the problem will be solved. But as this will
happen
in october, I will probably release new versions before it since I an in a
release
candidate stage and I have one more bug to fix. So, until there, I will
remove the
text refering to the common license directory from the copyright and let
lintian
throw that error.

Thank you for your attention

Best Regards

Luis Otavio Furquim

2007/9/10, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com>:

> On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 08:12:19PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > "Luis Furquim" <luisfurquim at gmail.com> writes:
> > > The problem is that my package is GPLv3 licensed and lintian threw the
> > > error message copyright-should-refer-to-common-license-file-for-gpl
> and
> > > in my Ubuntu Feisty Fawn box I found no GPLv3 license in the common
> > > license directory. So if I refer to that directory, I will change my
> > > package license to GPLv2. In the other hand, if I do not refer to this
> > > directory, lintian tells me that my DEB package is not ok with the
> > > debian policies.
> >
> > lintian is primarily a Debian package checker, and the current Debian
> > base-files includes the GPLv3.  I expect that Ubuntu will follow.  The
> > correct long-term solution for your package is to refer to the copy of
> the
> > GPLv3 in common-licenses.
>
> Indeed. Ubuntu 7.10 (in development) includes the GPLv3 in
> common-licenses. For 7.04 packages it is probably more correct and
> helpful to your users, not to mention legal, to simply ignore the
> lintian warning and copy the GPLv3 into your copyright file.
>
> (It's OK to ignore lintian warnings provided you understand why!)
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at ubuntu.com]

--
Luis Otávio de Colla Furquim