pam 0.99

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 10 16:14:47 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 10:25:00AM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 08:59:50AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > * Kees Cook

> > I disagree, I think it's quite important for a user to be able to set
> > environment variables which take effect no matter how they log in.
> > (This means ~/.{zsh,bash}rc isn't suitable, nor is ~/.gnomerc.)
>
> I think it's *useful*, but I don't think it's *important*, as this
> functionality has traditionally been missing from UNIX-like systems.

I've already ported the patch, and the 1 bug about it has at least one
work-around (disable user_env in the pam configs), so since we've used
it until now, perhaps we should:

1) keep it
2) convince PAM upstream to take it

If they take it, we don't have to patch in the future, and if they have a
compelling reason for why it is wrong/evil, we can drop it in the future.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook