Desktop team meetings

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 10 12:22:10 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 12:11:41PM +0100, Matthew East wrote:
> On 10/09/2007, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Now, much more active discussion happens in team meetings (like the periodic
> > server team meeting, desktop team meeting, etc.), which are more focused.
> > These are generally tracked on the team's wiki page or via the fridge.
>
> Thanks, I think that goes some way to explaining what's going on. The
> concern that was raised to me appears to have been about a desktop
> team meeting, not a development team meeting. The concern was simply
> that "development" related issues discussed by that team be done
> publically, while internal issues can of course be discussed
> privately. As far as I can see, that's what the team resolved to do,
> but it is just a question of communication as to ensuring that the
> process is seen to be doing that.
>
> Apologies for any confusion caused by the way I expressed the original
> post, I wasn't clued up about the distinction between teams.

OK, your questions are best raised with the desktop team, then.  I can't
claim much involvement in how they schedule their meetings.

Scott (CCed) would be the best contact.

> > In the past, the progress of the various development projects underway was
> > reviewed at the weekly Ubuntu Development Team meeting, where everyone
> > presented a short summary.  About 9 months ago, the number of concurrent
> > projects reached a level where this became impractical (with meetings
> > lasting hours), and instead, developers are invited to summarize their work
> > by email on a weekly basis.  For Canonical developers, this is part of their
> > weekly routine.  You can find archives of all of these weekly summaries in
> > the wiki:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=develteammeeting&titlesearch=Titles
>
> Ah, that's very helpful - I wasn't aware of such a comprehensive
> summary system; as I'd only seen one or two on mailing lists. That's
> probably my fault rather than a symptom of needing to improve the
> system. Although it would probably be quite easy to include links to
> any development meeting summaries in UWN, a quick review of the latest
> ones seems to suggest that isn't currently done. I'll suggest it.

They should probably be posted to ubuntu-devel if that isn't already done.
I think it was in the past, but it requires a lot of discipline to make this
sort of communication happen consistently.  I don't think community
developers find this format suitable at all.

--
 - mdz