[NetworkManager] blacklisting auto dhcp interfaces in gutsy

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Mon Sep 10 12:19:00 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 12:05 +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 12:38:57PM +0200, Alexander Sack wrote:

Actually, you should also be able to do something like this:

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp
    do-not-use-network-manager

It doesn't matter what the extra bit is, as long as it's there; note
that NM will ignore any stanza more complicated than the usual two
lines.

This is there so that NM ignores things like:

  auto eth1
  iface eth1 inet dhcp
    wpa-essid blah
    wpa-key foowibble

Since that's a fixed detail anyway, but can be used for the "don't use
NM with this interface" edge-case.

Long term, it's probably best for NM to parse /e/n/i and actually use it
properly; e.g. treat values there as hard-coded.  So if you had a
wireless interface defined in /e/n/i like so:

  auto eth1
  iface eth1 inet static
    address 1.2.3.4
    wpa-essid blah
    wpa-key foowibble

Then NM would just ensure that the interface, when up, had those
details.  And would obviously check ifstate, etc.

Then it wouldn't matter whether NM was used or not, because the effect
would be identical to using /e/n/i itself.

That would require more improvements to NM to make it inherit existing
interface configuration, rather than blatting it on startup.

A fair amount of work, really.

> >  3. advance users that want a mix of both (wired through /e/n/i auto
> >  dhcp, but wireless still managed through NM); they don't have the
> >  option to purge network manager and thus only have the /e/n/i
> >  workaround as a fallback.
>
> Again, in use case language:
>
> Alison installs an Ubuntu laptop, but she really wants her primary
> ethernet
> interface to be nailed up and not subject to Network Manager's whims.
> She
> adds the interface to /etc/network/interfaces, and Network Manager
> then
> ignores that interface, still allowing her to use it for wireless
> connections when traveling.

This would require improvements to NM and the policy agent to allow
interfaces to be simultaneously up.  It's possible to do, the "only one
up at a time" is simply a policy decision in nm-applet; not a hard
limitation.

(Obviously you don't want to break the current behaviour for people that
like it "I plug a cable into my laptop, and it automatically uses that
instead of the wireless \o/")

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant