pam 0.99

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at canonical.com
Mon Sep 10 07:59:50 BST 2007

* Kees Cook

| On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 06:45:50PM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
| > On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 05:18:30PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
| > > Does anyone (Mithrandir?) remember why we're carrying the per-user
| > > .pam_environment file patch?  That was the most extensive to port to the
| > > new code (the other Ubuntu changes were pretty trivial).
| >
| > I think this was low-hanging fruit added during the implementation of
| > one-true-path.  It isn't essential functionality.

I disagree, I think it's quite important for a user to be able to set
environment variables which take effect no matter how they log in.
(This means ~/.{zsh,bash}rc isn't suitable, nor is ~/.gnomerc.)

| If it's not needed, I'd like to drop it.  (Doing so would also close bug
| 113586.)

That looks like a configuration error; I think it's perfectly sensible
for pam modules to look in ~.  The user should use a pam module that
renews his AFS tickets for him.

| How is the one-true-path handled, BTW?  We have some open bugs (64064,
| 110287) that would like to see it adjusted.

/etc/environment is written by d-i, so it'd have to be changed there
and handled by update-manager on upgrades.

--
Tollef Fog Heen