initramfs/udev/mdadm/lvm2 integration

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 7 18:43:15 BST 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 04:47:24PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> I like the idea of local-timeout, though I'm still generally against
> automatically bring up the degraded arrays -- however, a detailed report
> that tries to figure out what's wrong and spews help to the console would
> be nice, something like:
>
>   Your root device (UUID=deadbeef-1234-1234-1234-feedfacebeef) was not found.
>   If your drives take a very long time to initialize, please specify how
>   many seconds to wait for them on the kernel command line, with:
>     rootdelay=SECONDS

Agreed, we should do this in any case where the initramfs drops to a shell,
and explain what steps to take in order to continue.  e.g., if there's a
problem mounting the root device, it should be possible to mount the correct
device, exit from the shell, and have the system boot up normally.

--
 - mdz