Semi-automatically submitting bugs to Debian

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 4 11:53:05 BST 2007

Hey, dudes.

In my branch of ubuntu-dev-tools[0], there's a new tool, submittodebian,
that I hacked together.

It's my first stab at a tool for semi-automatically submitting patches
to Debian.

If you're at the top of the source of the package and run
submittodebian, it'll generate a debdiff between your current version
and the previous one, open it in an editor (so that you can yank out any
Ubuntu specific changes), extract the changelog entry you wrote, and
fire up a text editor with the changelog entry and a bit of explanatory
text.  You then tweak this until it looks like a proper bug report, save
it, and then it will be submitted to Debian using reportbug.  There's an
example at [1]. It's pretty nifty, but is still just a quick hack, so
feel free to improve it or bug me until I do it for you :)

[0]: http://codebrowse.launchpad.net/~shawarma/ubuntu-dev-tools/submittodebian/annotate/soren%40ubuntu.com-20070903085504-ak00fkxcm8x2txq0?file_id=fileindebian-20070903085304-w4xg0ef8zc02jxqw-1

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=440624

--
Soren Hansen