Hardy: Time for sync project focus and here is how

Michael Banck mbanck at gmx.net
Mon Sep 3 13:39:35 BST 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 02:24:36AM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> The new idea is to use _all_ the tools we have at our disposal to
> engineer a system which will be robust, functional and should be made
> to show how god awful syncing on other platforms is currently done.
>
> Tools: OpenSync, Python/Gtk, HAL/DBus, BluetoothTools
>
> The Plan: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PimSyncPlan

That looks quite nice.  Certainly the integration of HAL/Dbus and
BluetoothTools on the one hand and OpenSync on the other hand is very
much lacking, and when I pointed this out the OpenSync people a couple
of times, they did not seem very worried about it.

One thing we should IMHO take into account, and which might make your
diagram somewhat simpler, is this: If you run Ubuntu, assume E-D-S is
one side of the sync, if you run Kubuntu, assume KDE-PIM.

I.e., only detect/configure (if necessary) the mobile device and
consider e-d-s/kdepim as your default storage.  None of the various
current OpenSync GUIs seems to do that (though I haven't looked at
kitchensync a lot, but AFAIK, it doesn't either).  At that point, you
mostly need a capplet for configuration/device detection(?) and a
notification tool for when a known/new mobile device is detected, plus
pop-ups for conflict resolution, if any.

Of course, writing that integration and the front-end tools looks
non-trivial, but if somebody can pull it off, yay.

Then there is the other question about how much conduit is going to
affect all of this.

I certainly want to get OpenSync package back into shape early for
hardy; unfortunately, 0.3x packages were not advisable for gutsy and the
current 0.1x packages are really too much out of date.

Michael