Tor Packages

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 2 13:59:29 BST 2007

Hi Aron,

Aron Sisak [2007-10-02 14:10 +0200]:
> I am using the newest tor on gutsy now, and am interested in
> maintaining it. IMHO it would be much better for both Tor and Ubuntu
> to have packages in our distro in a well-maintained form.

I agree. I just want to avoid having known bad packages in a stable
release.

> However, before I would volunteer, please let me know, what are the
> exact task that come with this on the Ubuntu side.

Pretty much that:
 * Actually use tor
 * When there is a new upstream release, check if it is important to
   get into stables; if so:
 * scrutinize the code diff and the upstream changelog for behaviour
   changes
 * make sure that the new package lands in the development Ubuntu
   release (preferably by having it maintained in Debian and just
   syncing, so that Debian benefits from this as well and we minimize
   the work)
 * Build the new upstream version (with the original packaging) on the
   stable Ubuntu releases we want to update, and test upgrade and
   functionality under production conditions.
 * Do a SRU as described on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/SRU (sponsors
   can help you with that, of course), and document the important
   changes in the bug trail.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de