Unmaintained Packages in universe, was: Tor Packages

Benj. Mako Hill mako at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 1 15:38:28 BST 2007

<quote who="Reinhard Tartler" date="Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 10:13:56AM +0200">
> Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> writes:
> > The problem isn't that the packages are in Ubuntu, but that they
> > aren't maintained.
>
> This raises an interesting topic. How do we want to deal with the
> situation where upstream asks a distribution to remove the packages,
> because the level of maintenance doesn't fit upstream's expectations?

Tor, software to run an anonymity network still under active
development, seems to be something of a special case.

I apologize that I wasn't quite clear enough with my initial message to
the list. I'd had several out of band conversations with Roger and felt
his request was justified and that, at the moment at least, it would be
difficult to adequately maintain Tor in universe in that the problem
isn't just that the packages are buggy, but rather that they are out of
date.  I'm glad Roger followed up to the list and did a better job of
justifying this than I could have.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at ubuntu.com
http://mako.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS