Demoting Xubuntu packages to universe

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 15:11:44 GMT 2007

Hi All,

On 11/30/07, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 04:27:07AM -0600, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> > The downside (or upside depending upon how you look at it) will be
> > Xubuntu's commercial support.  Traditionally, Canonical hasn't supported
> > anything inside Universe.  Support for these products was always left to
> > the community.  Clearly something would have to change here.
> >
> > So what are people's thoughts and concerns about this?

This change has no implications for commercial support.  Canonical does not
> presently offer commercial support for Xubuntu, which makes its presence
> in
> main that much more confusing for users and customers.

 I hadn't been following Ubuntu-Studio all that much, but I see that nightly
ISO's are generated for them on the cdimage.ubuntu.com site.  If putting
Xubuntu packages into Universe puts Xubuntu on the same level as Ubuntu
Studio, and eases package maintenance for Ubuntu core and Xubuntu
developers, then I would be in favor of it also.

Jim