Need to update GhostScript package in the Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) Repository

Gaurav Jain gaurav at adobe.com
Tue Nov 27 13:20:35 GMT 2007

Hello,

This is regarding the problem some users of Ubuntu 7.10 have faced with
printing of secure PDF files using Adobe Reader 8.1.1.  Here are some
links for reference on this issue:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.3c0564a2

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3846261 (I have posted an entry
here with id gaurav_anywhere)

The reason for this issue is that Ubuntu 7.10 currently installs
GhostScript version "8.61 pre-release" from the repositories, and
there's a bug in that pre-release version of GhostScript.  We have
tested and found that the problem does not occur with the release
version of GhostScript version 8.61 available at
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/GPL/gpl861.htm.

What we would therefore request is to update the Ubuntu 7.10
repositories to include this release version instead of the pre-release
version.

I have logged the following bug to address this issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ghostscript/+bug/172264

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this topic.  Please let me
know if I need to contact someone else who looks at the package
uploading for Ubuntu.

Thanks,

Gaurav Jain

Adobe Systems