Handling of -source packages for kernel modules

Cesare Tirabassi norsetto at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 13 14:42:56 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 14:29:13 Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> We seem to have a bunch of packages building kernel modules, such as
> gspca-source.

Don't know about gspca, but the rtxxxxx (rt2400, rt2500, rt2570 etc.) related
modules are the legacy modules which are in most if not all cases the only
ones that allow an usable wireless with ralink chipsets. See for instance:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/%2Bsource/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22/%2Bbug/134660

> At least some of those are included in the Ubuntu kernel and therefore
> serves very little or no purpose.

I don't agree, several packages are updated more frequently than the kernel
modules package. For instance the rt2x00 packages right now provides version
2.0.12 against the one in the kernel (which, IIRC, dates from last summer).

> Should we blacklist those so we don't get them from Debian?

No. What for? Are we short of archive space? They give the users a freedom of
choice which could be dangerous for their mental health?

Cesare