[Pkg-fonts-devel] Draining the font swamp

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon May 28 18:17:31 BST 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 12:36:53AM +0100, Angus Lees wrote:
> Note that fontconfig, freetype and xft are different libraries designed to
> work together - and listing them as separate font pieces like thats a
> problem is a bit inaccurate.

I didn't intend to imply that there was any problem with fontconfig,
freetype and xft, only to explain their respective roles in font handling sa
I understood them (and thereby get clarification).

>> > - Whether we still need server-side fonts for anything
>>
>> At the LGM we organized a font BoF and Keith Packard (X.org and
>> fontconfig) said that an elegant solution might be to redirect the
>> server-side calls to fontconfig until the few remaning apps are fixed.
>
> You're going to need this for a long time yet - unless you plan on dropping
> support for Xaw apps, X11 apps displayed remotely from other unices, etc.

The implied context, given that this discussion began in Ubuntu, was "...in
a modern Linux desktop".

These facilities can always remain available to people who need them, but
they could be pulled in only if the user actually installs such an app.

--
 - mdz