chkconfig for Debian/Ubuntu

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun May 27 20:58:40 BST 2007

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 03:52:48AM -0500, Brandon Holtsclaw wrote:
> With not seeing your bash script and a limited knowledge of  chkconfig from
> migrating CentOS ( Redhat EL clone ) boxen at work to Ubuntu I'd offer for
> you to think about the following things
>
> Ubuntu doesn't use sysv-rc , we now use upstart ( yes upstart has sysv
> script compatibility but afaik that is only for the transition to native
> upstart jobs )

We do still use sysv-rc, and as yet do not yet have a clear plan for
migrating the boot scripts to upstart's event model.  In any case, we will
continue to preserve compatibility with System V/Debian/LSB init scripts, so
tools for managing them will still be useful in any case.

> Also there is a fundamental difference in the way RH and Debian/Ubuntu
> handles installed services like apache etc , basically if its installed its
> meant to be started and running , thats one of the reason for splitting
> packages so you can install only what you need. Also I dont know if your
> script takes into account some services are enabled/disabled in
> /etc/default/*

The various /etc/default hacks to enable/disable services would be better
left behind.  If there were a convenient tool for manipulating the symlinks
(as I believe chkconfig is meant to be), then we wouldn't need them.

--
 - mdz