xmms into universe?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue May 15 10:47:57 BST 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 02:51:18PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> I'd like to propose moving xmms into universe.  There is no longer any
> upstream development[1] (and as such, security vulnerabilities aren't
> being fixed -- I created the most recent patch for the skin loader
> vuln).  Debian's package has been recently adopted, otherwise I'd be
> proposing dropping it from the repository totally.  :)

I had been thinking the same toward the end of the 7.04 cycle, but I found
that it was non-trivial to move, and it was no time to be making intrusive
changes at that point.  Thanks for raising this again.

> It is in main due to build-deps in "flac" and "kdeutils".  "flac"
> produces "xmms-flac" which is in universe, and "kdeutils" produces
> "superkaramba" which is in universe, and just uses xmms-dev as an option
> feature.
>
> Additionally, when xmms is no longer in main, the only package still
> keeping gtk1.2 in main will be "evms-gui", if I'm reading correctly.
>
> So, I'd like to propose the following changes:
> - remove the "xmms-flac" package from "flac" (as well as the "xmms-dev"
>   build-dep).

It is unfortunate to have to cripple xmms simply for the sake of moving it
to universe.  The ideal way to fix this would be to move the XMMS FLAC
plugin to the XMMS tree, where most other XMMS plugins are maintained, but
without an upstream, this isn't going to happen.

> - remove the "xmms-dev" build-dep from kdeutils (as well as the "xmms"
>   suggests from superkaramba).
> - move xmms into universe
>
> What do other people think about this?

I support the idea of moving xmms to universe, though I admit that crippling
it in the process is not entirely desirable.

--
 - mdz