Automatic crash reports in the final release

Soren Hansen sh at linux2go.dk
Fri Mar 30 14:45:45 BST 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 03:01:15PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
>>> (1) Flip /etc/default/apport to 'off'. Bug triagers can ask
>>> submitters to switch it on again when they can reproduce a crash and
>>> proved to be communicative.
>> 1) File bug manually
> This is the point of that entire discussion---community people are
> able to do this and hopefully will, but Joe User won't, which is
> exactly what we want to try to achieve with this discussion: get
> fewer, but high-quality bug reports.

Of course.

> Apport makes it trivially easy to create dead bugs, just as the
> soon-to-be-disabled 'Report a problem' entry in the System menu.

Oh, ok. I've been using gnome-main-menu (slab) for months, so I hadn't
seen that one. Ok, the "manually" bit is not quite as manual then, but
the rest of my points still hold, I think. When a bug triager has told
the user to enable apport (which has to be easier than editing
/etc/default/apport, of course), and the user has managed to reproduce
the bug, apport should allow the user to update an _existing_ bug with
this crash report. Otherwise the virtual paperwork for the two bugs (the
"semi-manual" one and the apport generated one) is going to be tedious,
I think.

>>> (2) Keep apport itself enabled and have it stuff the dumps into
>>> /var/crash
>> Also, if it's not already there (don't remember), apport should show
>> the time at which the crash happened so that the user can recognize
>> the particular crash when running apport after the fact.
> This has also always been recorded in the dumps.

I know, but if we want Joe User to go find a crash report from a crash a
few days back, the GUI should show him when the particular crash has
happened. Right now it just says "now or in the past", I think. There
could potentially be quite a few crashes there, so having the name and a
timestamp would be helpful.

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |