ubuntu-devel and ubuntu-devel-discuss

George Deka george.deka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 06:24:55 GMT 2007

On 3/3/07, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
<snip>
>  If you want to solicit responses from the community, you should send to
>  ubuntu-devel-discuss, so that a thread can start there.  Of course, if
>  you're soliciting responses about development you're doing, you should
>  also mail ubuntu-devel so that other developers are sure to see it.
>
> The primary awkwardness I've seen so far is messages which meet both of
> these criteria.  For example, a call for testing of pre-release packages.
> In these cases, cross-posting seems like the appropriate solution, has the
> desired effect of reaching both groups, allows both broad community
> discussion and focused development discussion, and allows subscribers to
> choose to receive either or both.

First off the new split, works well for me, whlist not a developer i
follow it closley and it cuts the noise. This list now has less
traffic than -doc.

What if for messages which were meant to solict a response we ask that
the response go somewhere else - a new list or forum or wiki.
Thus cutting down on the traffic. And if you were to say it was in a
new list it would have the advantage that you knew thats where devs
questions and responses were.
Because obviously the key is to not need dev to sub to -dd.

Thoughts ? i know it is a little goofy, but the best iv got right now.

George