edgy->feisty upgrades for people with nfs mounts and without nfs-common

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Fri Mar 16 21:47:05 GMT 2007

Michael Vogt <michael.vogt at ubuntu.com> writes:

> On a stock edgy system without portmap or nfs-common it is possible to
> nfs mount a directory (also it takes some time for the kernel to
> timeout on portmap).

There are other Operating System which can mount NFS without a
portmapper (OpenBSD). They don't support locking, but mounting
works. Why isn't this possible with ubutnu? (#92926)

> Now this does no longer work on feisty, the kernel complains that it
> can't read the nfs superblock.

What is an "nfs superblock"?

> So on the new feisty system the user will assume that something broke
> during the upgrade.

Well, the user has a point somewhere, no?

> I would like to ask for opinions how we should deal with this
> situation in general and in the release-upgrader in particular. I see
> the following options if a nfs mount is detected in /etc/fstab:
>
> 1. automatically install nfs-common (opens a port)
> 2. ask the user if he wants to install nfs-common (brings up a
>    additional question during the upgrade)
> 3. use some sort of notification (post-upgrade hook) to inform the
>    user
> 4. just do nothing and assume people who can do nfs mounts can deal
>    with the situation

5. mangle fstab to add the option "nolock" (see also mount(8)). This
would "fix" the timeout the user had in edgy. Without portmapper,
locking isn't available anyway. This option get interesting if
nfs-common gets installed later. So all in all, fixing #92926 might an
even better option in the end. Too late for feisty, I think :(

> P.S. I added this also the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FeistyUpgrades

Is that wiki page a good place for pointing to bugs with high impact?
I'd like to point to the bugs #38409 and #75681, which are pretty
critical IMO.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4