Accepted xresprobe 0.4.24ubuntu1 (source)

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at cc.hut.fi
Thu Mar 15 19:10:35 GMT 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> Do you mean to say that the modes reported by the BIOS are not accurate, but
> they are useful?  e.g., if the panel is 1920x1200, it will provide larger
> modes than if the panel is 1024x768?

BIOS doesn't say what size the panel is, other drivers usually can probe
that (and panel data is what xprobe.sh greps from the log for the other
drivers).

> That seems reasonable.  Note that this now requires a beta freeze exception
> to change.  Your original changes have now been in the archive for over a
> week; have you received any feedback, especially from laptops which were
> being detected correctly in the past?

Not that I remember, no. But there probably hasn't been that many testers
since the ix86 daily-livecd has been oversized all that time ;)

> Right.  The problem is only with the vesa driver, but the config change
> affects *all* drivers, even those which have been working correctly.  It's
> those cases we want to avoid changing when we are approaching the release.

Yes, I'll make the changes to narrow the impact and ask for a
freeze-exception.

thanks,