PHP 4 will be removed from the archive shortly

Joe Barnett thejoe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 13:52:24 GMT 2007

On 3/13/07, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Martin Pitt [2007-02-21 20:15 +0100]:
> > we have not supported PHP 4 for three releases now, and it's time to
> > remove it from the archive to avoid shipping unsupported stuff with
> > known security vulnerabilities. The world has mostly moved to PHP 5
> > anyway.
>
> I just removed php4 and all its binaries from Feisty.
>
> > List of reverse dependencies:
> >
> > bbclone
> > drupal
> > ewiki
> > flatnuke
> > gforge-web-apache
> > ibwebadmin
> > kolab-resource-handlers
> > libphp-jpgraph
> > libphp-phplayersmenu
> > mydms
> > myphpmoney
> > opendb
> > php4-apache2-mod-bt
> > php4-clamavlib
> > tutos2
>
> Drupal is fixed now in Feisty, most of the rest is still relevant. So
> if anyone is interested in any of those packages, now would be a good
> time to fix the dependencies/disable php4 modules/etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

How did this effect packages like php-file and php-mime-mail (see bugs :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/php-file/+bug/86830 and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/php-mail-mime/+bug/86831), which
currently depend on php4-pear, but build fine against php-pear?  I assume
they've been removed from the archive, but can be added back in with trivial
changes.  There may be other php modules with similar problems, as well (I
only found these 2 because they are recommended/suggested by the horde3 web
suite).

-Joe