What is the correct place to ask about...

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Thu Mar 1 15:01:16 GMT 2007

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 11:25:06AM -0900, Eben Sorkin wrote:
>> What is the correct place to ask about Ubuntu & fonts? I don't want
>> to complain about rendering or anything. I am a font developer and I
>> would like to know who in the Ubuntu community I might talk to about
>> making fonts for the Ubuntu community and optimized for Ubuntu/Linux
>> users.
>
> I'm not aware of anyone in the Ubuntu community who is specifically focused
> on fonts at the moment, though a few developers have touched on this area as
> necessary over the years.  Perhaps you can tell us more about what you have
> in mind, so that we can discuss it further?

I'll quickly point out that there are a number of specs related to fonts
in Ubuntu underway like for example:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/open-fonts
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/font-management
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/font-design-toolkit

And a fonts team:
https://launchpad.net/~fonts

There's hasn't been an enormous amount of visible activity recently but
things are nicely coming together: we have mainly focused on the Open
Font License, on the Open Font Library, on documenting a open font
design toolkit and on packaging existing open fonts.

There's good work happening with Debian upstream via the pkg-fonts
Alioth team (check svn there: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-fonts).

Open fonts and related subjects will also be discussed at the upcoming
2nd Libre Graphics Meeting and Debconf 7:
http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org
https://debconf7.debconf.org/

A campaign - coordinated by unifont.org - to encourage designers to
release fonts under the Open Font License is about to be officially
launched:
http://unifont.org/go_for_ofl/

Feedback and contributions in the area of open fonts is welcome from
anyone in the Ubuntu community: devs, designers, etc...

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org