gnash 0.8.0 + easy-codec-install in gutsy

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 27 16:23:44 BST 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 12:07:40PM +0200, Alexander Sack wrote:
> I am happy to announce that we just made the first important step
> towards free-flash in ubuntu [1]. A gnash package baked from the gnash
> 0.8.0 release branch should now be available in gutsy (universe). This
> package features an initial version of easy-codec-install for gnash
> (see below).
>
> The version for testing is 0.8.0~cvs20070611.1016-1ubuntu1.
>
> For now, please test and give feedback on:
>
>   + the easy-codec-install feature (does it work for all?)
>   + flash content that doesn't work

This is fantastic.  The current version in Gutsy worked out of the box for
me, playing YouTube videos with only visual blemishes on the controls.

No joy on Google Video, though, which is a shame as that's where many Ubuntu
screencasts are hosted.

I noticed when looking at the bug list in Launchpad that there's no upstream
bug contact.  How are bugs being passed upstream?  It would be great to have
close upstream participation as we encourage Ubuntu users to test the latest
Gnash code.

Great work!

--
 - mdz