Announcing wineui

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Mon Jun 4 13:48:38 BST 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 10:15:44PM +1200, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On May 31, 2007, at 9:18 PM, Arthur Loiret wrote:
> >
> >Loïc Martin a écrit :
> >>
> >>Just by curiosity, what are the differences with the graphical wine
> >>applications uninstaller found in Applications>System Tools>Wine
> >>Software Uninstaller ?
> >
> >wineui rather use gtk and qt toolkits rather than the win32 api for
> >display. The goal is to make a desktop specific gui for each desktop
> >environments, such as gtk for gnome, qt/kde for kde, and etk/ewl for
> >e17 for example.
>
> If your objective is to integrate with the desktop, probably the ideal
> solution would be to make installed Windows applications show up in the
> existing Add/Remove Applications window, rather than to have a separate
> window for them.

But the applications that are currently listed in Add/Remove Applications are
installed system-wide, and most wine applications will end up in ~/.wine (or
whatever it is these days).  That is an obvious incompatibility.

I guess it's possible to have system-wide wine configurations and C:\ drives,
but I don't foresee much standardization happening there for Ubuntu.

-Forest