Ubuntu Studio built by Canonical using Universe.

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 27 12:55:05 BST 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 11:18:22PM +1000, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > No, it's not a matter of resources, but of policy.  We would really
> > like to avoid pulling in bits from universe to build ISOs.  This might
> > be ok for Ubuntu Studio, but it is not in any way ok for Ubuntu
> > itself, and having the build scripts not knowing anything about
> > universe is a very good way of ensuring that.
>
> This is not only a problem for ubuntu studio.
>
> As per https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuGutsyPlan, the Kubuntu team is
> wanting to make an unsupported Kubuntu KDE 4 cd.
>
> Presumably the other flavours who have their packages in universe will
> also want to start building cds, and have them listed on cdimage.ubuntu.com.

At this point it *is* about resources. We can't reasonably build CDs on
the master build system for every possible flavour who might want them;
note that there is also a support burden in doing so, it slows down
urgent primary builds, etc.

The build system is available so that people can build their own images.

Cheers,