Accepted mdadm 2.6.2-1ubuntu1 (source)

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 12 13:12:04 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 11:05 +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> Scott James Remnant <scott at ubuntu.com> writes:
>
> > The boot process will hand for three minutes and leave you at a busy box
> > shell.  This could be improved so that the problem is detected earlier
> > and the option of getting to the shell (and with suggested commands)
> > appears earlier.
> >
> > Once in the shell, you can force the raid to run; this will update the
> > metadata so that the array can be run degraded automatically in future.
>
> Reported as https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mdadm/+bug/125471

This is not a regression though, right?  We found nothing that made an
attempt to force a degraded array to be used at boot.

What suggestion would you make for it?

Note that removing --no-degraded doesn't work, since that's required to
actually assemble the array.  Without it, it would be always assembled
degraded since block devices don't turn up at once.  We'd need to
examine the array status to see whether all components have been
detected, and some marked as discarded.

This won't work if a drive is removed; we can't tell the difference
between that and a drive just hasn't been inserted or detected yet.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
Ubuntu Development Manager