Bug workflow - a wider view

Ian Jackson ian at davenant.greenend.org.uk
Mon Jul 9 17:39:15 BST 2007

Christian Robottom Reis writes ("Re: Bug workflow - a wider view"):
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 01:55:52PM +0200, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > > LP should not permit itself to be used to file a bug upstream unless
> > > the owners of the upstream bug system have agreed.
> >
> > This is not only valid for Debian but for most of the upstream projects
> > I was involved during my Ubuntu time. Most of them don't like
> > automagically forwarded bug reports.
> >
> > They do like bugreports, reported by humans, not by robots.
>
> To clarify, the feature we have planned would make it easier for humans
> to report bugs, and not implement a robot-bug-forwarder.

Yes.

However, I think we're talking about bug reports originally written in
Launchpad which are then resent (after an user requests it for a
particular bug with a few mouse clicks) to an upstream system ?

Such reports are likely to be perceived by upstreams as coming from
robots, because a human writing a submission for their bug system
would probably have written a different kind of bug report.

Just the fact that original text was written by a human, and even that
a human decides to forward a particular bug, won't be sufficient in
some upstreams' eyes to avoid the charge of robotic bug propagation.

Ian.