Bug workflow - a wider view

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 9 13:46:26 BST 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 12:34:51PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> But that's not what's important.  What is important is what _people in
> Debian_ are likely to think, and I predict that significant numbers
> will make arguments like those I present above.  The proper people to
> decide on the merits of these arguments are Debian - and the proper
> venue for the discussion is Debian.

I agree with your points, and I support your cause so long as you share the
goal of an efficient, working system for forwarding bugs from Ubuntu to
Debian.

That is to say, the banner should read "let's discuss how to do this
properly ", not "don't do this".

> Where, in a case like this, opposition can be expected, prudence says
> that we should tread carefully by discussing the matter in advance and
> by not doing anything without Debian's consent.

I support open discussion of this idea and its implementation with
representatives of Debian.  However, in practice, this is much more
difficult than it sounds, and needs to be approached cautiously.  Someone
needs to prepare a detailed explanation of the problem, how we are solving
it, and how we chose that solution, so that we can get meaningful feedback
about the idea.

--
 - mdz