[ubuntu-marketing] Forum news (Re: forum-ambassadors to improve communication between forum users and developers)

Remo Quintino remoquintino at libero.it
Sat Jan 13 01:23:34 GMT 2007

Matt Zimmerman ha scritto:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 12:42:44AM +0100, Roald (ubuntu_demon) wrote:
>> Please read the entire document. All feedback is welcome. Especially
>> feedback regarding communication between us forum ambassadors and you
>> developers. For example in what way should we report to you about
>> interesting trends and wishes ?
>
> I haven't reviewed the ForumAmbassadors document recently, but in answer to
> your question above, I think that the most useful and compatible way to
> transfer this information is in the form of news.  It would be great to have
> a weekly forum news roundup which highlighted activity which might be of
> interest beyond the forums themselves.
>
> This would be much more effective than individuals attempting to pass
> specific issues from forums to teams one-by-one.  A hypothetical forum
> update might include, for example:
>
> - A summary of testing feedback in the new testing forum for a recent
>   milestone release, with a hyperlink to the full thread
>   (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=201), which would be of
>   interest to the QA team
>
> - A summary of a thread discussing a new Ubuntu feature (proposed, under
>   development or released), giving user feedback and suggestions which might
>   be of interest to the developer working on it
>
> - A summary of a thread where users are struggling with a particularly
>   common or severe bug
>
> - A summary of a thread where forum users are discussing their reactions to
>   a recent change in the Ubuntu community, such as a new team or new
>   appointment, which might be of interest to the Community Council
>
> The forums represent our largest window into the opinions of the user
> community, but it is far too large for project leaders and developers to
> monitor themselves.  By summarizing important general-interest threads,
> this information could be brought to a wider audience in a clear and
> unobtrusive way.
>
> One possible vehicle for this is the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, which is
> regularly published by the Marketing Team (thanks!).  Perhaps a section in
> the newsletter could be devoted to the forums, a few responsible citizens
> from the forum community could spend a bit of time each week to fill it in
> with the week's events from their perspective.  I've CCed their mailing list
> to discuss this idea.
>
> The editors would need to be selective about what is published, and consider
> issues in the context of the project as a whole.  They must focus on
> concrete, general-interest issues, and avoid vague or speculative topics.
> The Ubuntu community would rely on them to filter this information for the
> benefit of all concerned.
>
> What do you think?

We are debating about the implementation of Forum Ambassadors in Ubuntu
Italian Community (sponsored by Luca Falavigna
https://launchpad.net/~dktrkranz).
We would like to extend it to every support channel provided by our
community (forums, mailing lists, IRC channels), so we would like to
rename this team as "Launchpad Ambassadors". This is meant to include
every source of potential useful information, not only forums.

We could experiment this method and provide the informations shown in
the proposed schema. It seems to be the best way to handle it, since we
would like to extend it to IRC and ML, which are harder to face.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Remo Quintino (mefisto)