How do I know if a package is supported from python-apt

Sebastian Heinlein sebi at glatzor.de
Wed Jan 10 22:54:03 GMT 2007

On Mi, 2007-01-10 at 22:32 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> On Mi, 2007-01-10 at 15:12 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Noam Raphael [2006-12-27 23:18 +0200]:
> > > Is there a way to get from python-apt the info of whether a package is
> > > supported or not? I'm trying to write a utility that will assist in
> > > removing unneeded packages, and it seems to me that knowing whether a
> > > package is supported or not can help decide whether to remove a
> > > package or not.
> >
> > Such a feature would greatly help me in apport as well for deciding
> > the origin of a particular package (and not report things if it's not
> > an Ubuntu package). However, since we cannot assume anything about the
> > user's apt sources I doubt that there is a solid method to determine
> > this.
> >
> > Michael, please prove me wrong. :)
>
> Take a look at the origin attribut of an apt.package.
>
> @Noam:
>
> What tool do you work on? Apt now supports the auto removal of no longer
> needed dependencies.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sebastia

I was wrong, it is candidateOrigin

But I think that the problem could be users that installed the package
from an alternative site manually or disabled the Ubuntu repository.

By the way (python-)aptsources extracts distribution specific
information from the sources list (e.g. are official mirrors used? which
comps are enabled?). It is used in software-properties.

Cheers,

Sebastian