How to pick up crash reports owned by system users?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 10 06:51:56 GMT 2007

Hi Kees,

Kees Cook [2007-01-09  9:25 -0800]:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 09:35:11AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> >  * Change apport-checkreports to check for the existence of system
> >    crash reports if the user is in 'admin', and have apport-gtk gksu
> >    itself if there is a system crash report it cannot read. This would
> >    be the safe option, but requires some ugly hardcoding of group
> >    names and semantics into apport. However, this hardcoding could
> >    eventually be moved into the update-notifier apport code (when
> >    we'll finally get event-notifier, this will be much cleaner).
>
> I like this method better as well.  As long as apport-gtk drops privs
> right after reading the report, I think this is safe.

That's what I was going to do, yes.

> For the use-case of using apport-retrace, is the assumption that the
> user is already savy and is dealing with the perms manually?

Definitively yes. apport-retrace is a tool that is meant for
developers, and the standard use case is to apply it on a report you
downloaded from Malone. Of course it can also be directly applied to
/var/crash/, but then you'll just get the permission error message.
This tool does not have any GUI anyway.

Thanks,

Martin

--