Concerns

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Jan 2 10:12:42 GMT 2007

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 05:31:12AM -0600, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> Matt, I'm not sure that's good enough.  At least not according to the
> Free Software Foundation[1].  If one is creating a derivative
> distribution, that author must provide the sources to *all* software
> they are distributing, even that which they've not modified.  Has this
> stance on the FSF's part changed?

No. Ubuntu provides GPL applications under 3(b) of the GPL, which means
that people providing identical packages can choose to provide them
under 3(c). Debian doesn't, so in the past Mepis wouldn't have been able
to do this.

On the other hand, 3(c) only applies to non-commercial distribution. If
someone is performing commercial distribution, then they're required to
distribute source as well (under either 3(a) or 3(b))

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org