Better interactions with new upstream version on drivers

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Thu Dec 13 22:15:51 GMT 2007

Hi Mario!

Interestingly, several of us seem to be thinking along the same lines.
Recently several of us laid plans for merging efforts with Envy.  The
notes from the meeting are at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EnvyNG if you'd
like to look (and please add your own ideas - we'll love to have you
onboard the team too!)

Notably, in the meeting we also had similar ideas of making use of dkms,
improving access to newer driver releases, improving integration in
release manager, and so on.  Envy includes support for both fglrx and
nvidia.

Much of what we discussed involved how to make envy and l-r-m play well
together (and with displayconfig-gtk via uniform xorg.conf editing with
guidance-backends).  The GUI layer didn't receive as much discussion but
is also obviously important, and I bet you have some good thoughts on
how we can make the user experience there be tighter.  mvo was going to
look into modifications to restricted-manager, and I bet he'd love your
help with this.  Alberto Milone would probably also appreciate feedback
on the Envy UI and it's integration.

Bryce