Strawman: merge main and universe

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 13 18:58:37 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:24:56PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> Security support is another angle to take; and another bucket of worms.

What gets security support[1] is a list of packages.  I personally don't
care what that list is called, as long as the contents don't change
suddenly, and there is still a manual process that allows packages to
get on the list.  I'd propose the following requirements for implementing
the suggested change:

- Whatever seeds end up being defined as "security-supported" should not
  differ in content much from the current list of packages in "main".

- As mentioned by Martin, the process for a package crossing over into
  the security-supported seeds must be manual, and the approval process
  should be as strict as current MIR.

- The list of supported packages should be easy for an end-user to
  query.  From some of the other threads on this subject, it sounds like
  making the package list discoverable is critical to the success of the
  plan.  And I think this method needs to be separate from Launchpad --
  a server admin studying his system needs to be able to ask the
  question "what packages do I have installed that are NOT supported?"
  without making tons of queries to LP, doing arcane dctrl-greps, or
  writing scripts to parse germinate output.

Beyond that stuff, I think it sounds like a great idea, even if it does
result in some higher complexity in places.

-Kees

[1] in this context, I mean "Canonical-sponsored security support".

--
Kees Cook