Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 2 13:00:51 GMT 2007

Hi,

Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT) [2007-12-01 16:30 +0100]:
> If you look on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ and expand the
> "Tags" side-panel you'll see that there's an enormous amount of
> defined tags, 1.736, to be exactly (see below for some more
> statistics).

I fully agree.  This is also why I have never believed in tagging, not
in LP (except for some properly annouced and well-used tags like
verification-needed, bitesize, and a few others), not with photos
(f-spot or flickr), nor anywhere else. The total lack of proper
definition makes them mostly useless IMHO.

The fact that we now have this large number of mostly useless tags
shows that the system has not worked as intended. So while I agree to
cleaning it up (thank you for the initial research!), it would
certainly make sense to introduce a policy for future tags. Like a
wiki page documenting them, getting consensus about a new tag
somewhere, limit the definition of new tags to a certain team, etc.

Thanks,

Pitti

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de