Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT) sgevatter at ubuntu.cat
Sat Dec 1 15:30:25 GMT 2007

Hi,

If you look on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ and expand the
"Tags" side-panel you'll see that there's an enormous amount of
defined tags, 1.736, to be exactly (see below for some more
statistics).

A lot of those tags were only used one or two times (1.152 are
currently only being used by one or less open bugs, and the number of
closed bugs for most of those isn't much higher), and are totally
pointless ("1.4.16"? Wtf is that?; "adept", "alacarte": shouldn't it
be assigned to the corresponding package?; "alt+f2": Uh??).

So in order to get ride of all this crap and make the tag list a bit
more overviewable (like now it's mostly useless, if you don't know a
tag you won't find it there), I propose to remove all that tags that
are only used on one or less open bugs (that is a 66% of them!). I
could write a Python script that did that automatically (using
launchpadbugs).

As this would generate quite some bug mail (I have no exact number,
but it might change up to somewhat like 2000-4000 bugs) persia told me
to ask here about it.

So... What do you think? Do you agree with this (in my opinion)
necessary clean-up?

Linux User #438657. Ubuntu User #11680.

Tags Statistics:
Total number of tags: 1736
Total number of known tags used: 38 / 40
Total number of open bugs that are tagged: 12958
Total number of open bugs with a known tag: 5086
Total number of tags with no open bugs: 451
Total number of tags with only one open bug: 701
Total sum of tags with one or less open bugs: 1152
Total sum of tags with more than one open bug: 584

(To generate them yourself copy the tags from Launchpad directly into
a new text file, save the attached file, and then execute «python
taglist-stats.py <filename>»)