Critical/highly severe bug in Gutsy, noone seems to notice

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at
Thu Aug 23 06:10:51 BST 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Thomas Novin wrote:

> Hi all
> I'm a bit worried about a problem that seems to exist in the VESA driver
> that ships with Gutsy. I was about to file a bug on launchpad but found
> there were already several similar issues. 4 of them with status
> New/Undecided and one with Confirmed/High but none of them are assigned
> to a specific person/group.
> To describe the problem quickly; If you have a ATI X???? graphics card
> which seems to be popular on laptops, Xorg won't start thus making a
> normal install impossible.
> Launchpad URLs:
> Is this the right forum to attempt to get some attention? It is approx.
> one month left to the Gutsy beta so I recon that something needs to be
> done pretty quickly.

This has haunted me for quite some time now... It's a bug in the server
making it discard some vesa-modes before it even tries to validate them.
Debian has a patch for that in their current xorg-server, and we've merged
with them and I'll upload a new version for gutsy later today.