[i18n] Input Method and Fonts improvements for Gutsy

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 13 07:35:33 BST 2007

Hi,

Matt Zimmerman [2007-08-10 15:13 +0100]:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 06:35:34PM +0800, Arne Goetje wrote:
> > Well, if I need to input Chinese and Japanese on an English system, I
> > don't want to install a few dozen files from the language packs,
> > especially if the translations are useless for me anyways. ;)
>
> Please note that language-pack and language-support are currently
> independent, though I'm not sure that's still necessary.

It is, the reasons haven't changed.

Conceptually, a user (usually) wants one language-pack-* for the
language he prefers to see his desktop in, and several
language-support-* for all languages he wants to create documents in.

So it is useful to install a language-support-* without the
corresponding language-pack-*, which is why they do not depend on
them, just recommend.

OTOH it does not make much sense to install a language-pack-* without
the matching language-support-*. Ideally there would be a dependency,
but since l-support is so big, we cannot fit them on the CD.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de