Team packages maintained in bzr, one branch for the team or one for each debian directory?

Grant Defayette gdefayette at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 21:58:27 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 17:28 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are looking at maintaining the ubuntu-desktop packages in bzr. The
> idea is to store the debian directories there and to use
> bzr-buildpackage and some other tools making the work easier.
>
> There is a question though, which is to know if we should better use one
> branch by package or one for everything. I'm trying to summarize some
> advantages and inconveniences of each method:
>
> * One branch by package:
> + that's the "clean" way using bzr
> + you can checkout and look at updates for the packages you are
> interested in only
> - you need to checkout or update ~100 different branches when you work
> on all the packages
> - you need to branch for every package when gutsy+1 opens
>
> * One branch for all the packages:
> + you only need one command to branch, get or update the team packaging
> sources
> + easier to look if something changed
> - you need to checkout the debian directories for all the packages
> (quite small)
>
> The team contributors are likely to work on different packages and I
> think it would be easier to have everything at the same location.
>
> Daniel has written a "get-branches" tool to make easy to get or update
> all the branches from a team, it has to connect and do checkout for
> every package though which is quite slow and quite verbose.
>

> What do you think? What method would you like better? Extra arguments
> and thoughs are welcome!
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sebastien Bacher

How about dividing the branches into categories with packages split into
different subdirs. Many closely related packages are all changed at the
same time and therefore should not be in different branches. To combine
them all in one branch sounds like a good idea, but maintaining it might
be a nightmare. To track all changes made to such an all encompassing
branch would be very difficult.
Off to-pic a bit, as far as I know bzr does not allow sub branches with
different access rules, could be useful.