question about ubuntu development tools

Koen Noens koen.noens at telenet.be
Sun Apr 22 12:13:44 BST 2007

Hi,

Sorry to be barging in on your mailing list like this, but I would like
to get some info that I haven't been able to find on the web.

I like to do a bit of programming every now and then,and occasionally I
come across 'problems' on the ubuntu forums that could be easily fixed
with a simple GUI frontend to some commandline tools and a bit of glue.
So, I'd like to have a go at making such gui's and I'm wondering what
language / framework i should use. I mean, I could easily hack something
up with a bash script and some zenity, but if Ubuntu usually uses C++
and MFC for such things, my work would never be more than a quick and
dirty workaround. I'd rather create something that fits in into the
existing Ubuntu GUI.

I read that Phyton is the language of choice, so I'll have a look at that.
What should I be looking for re. the GUI components ? I found this list
of frameworks and IDE's : http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
but I don't know which one would be suitable for ubuntu devloment.
Could you give me some direction ?

I assume that there also are guidelines/best practices/common standards
for ubuntu development, could you tell me where I can find them ? Just
to have an idea of what I'm getting myself in to ...

Thanks,
Koen Noens