[Wine] Can someone help me write an update-binfmts script for binfmt-support?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Apr 4 09:42:53 BST 2007

Right now, we get this annoying error message when double clicking
an .exe with Wine installed:
http://tuzakey.com/~scott/wine_without_mime.png

MIME suport for .exe's was removed, under the theory that binfmt-support
can be configured to run them.  See, eg, this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wine/+bug/24829

>From reading the report, it seems like the proper solution is to have
binfmt-misc support rather than MIME types for executables.  The trouble
is, this is currently broken, and I really am not sure how to use it.

I'm a bit worried about doing it wrong too.  Update-binfmts looks like a
very easy way to break a lot of things if not set perfectly right, and
I'm not sure if we want all .exe files to always open with Wine -
folding at home for linux, for example, has an ELF binary with a ".exe"
extension in its name.  There's an entire man page for update-binfmts,
but what I'd really like to see is an example.

So, can someone point me to a package that uses this script already?
Moreover, can someone tell me how to tell a "true" exe file that needs
to be opened with Wine?  We can't leave this annoying error the way it
is forever.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie