Automatic crash reports in the final release

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 3 19:42:10 BST 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 04:44:30PM -0500, Alex Mauer wrote:
> Martin Pitt wrote:
> Although we warn about the
> > 'private data' in the GUI, this is not really a decision that a
> > novice user can do appropriately, so we have the privacy problem as
> > well.
>
> On this topic, is it reasonable to discard crash data some consistent
> amount of time after the bug in question is fixed, or to allow the
> reporter to remove it manually?
>
> I could see someone trawling through the bug reports, looking for
> passwords and such.  I don't think it would be good to have someone's
> system cracked just because they submitted a bug...

The original plan was to expire them intelligently, once there were enough
in the system to start worrying about the space they consume.

Another idea would be to flag crash reports specially in Launchpad so that
they can be access-controlled.  If only registered Ubuntu developers and QA
members can access the crash dumps, this becomes less of an issue.

--
 - mdz